J-Head MKIV Hotend for RepRap 3D Printers
Sorry, currently out of stock
The idea of using the PTFE tubing as a liner, from the Cold End to the tip, was borrowed from the Makerbot Mk V extruder design. The PTFE tubing also acts to "bridge" the joint between the PEEK insulator and the brass nozzle/heater. By not having the filament in contact with this joint it is hoped that any possibility of leakage will be completely eliminated.
The use of a combination heater and nozzle was borrowed from ParCan's Inline Heater Nozzle Variation. However, instead of the heater resistor being mounted parallel to the path of the filament it is mounted perpendicular to the path of the filament. This was done to both reduce the length of the nozzle and to make it a little easier to run the leads from the heater resistor. Combining the heater and nozzle also helped to meet the goal to keep the number of custom machined parts to a minimum.
J-Head MKIV Hotend Advantages:
- Internally, the filament path is identical to that of an already proven design.
- The design is simple as the number of custom machined parts is kept to a minimum.
- If necessary, the PTFE liner can be replaced by using an off-the-shelf piece of PTFE tubing.
- The PTFE is not stressed nor used to provide support. This reduces a point of failure that is part of other designs.
- A resistor is used as a heater. There is no need to wrap nichrome wire or to bake a heater core.
- Heat transmission is improved as there is no thermal junction where a separate heater screws onto the nozzle.
- With most versions weighing in at under 25 grams and the lightest version weighing in at under 13 grams, this design is very light.
- 1 J-Head Nozzle (v1.x) Machined Brass Nozzle/Heater Combination, Version 1.x
- 1 Nozzle Holder (v4) Machined PEEK Nozzle Holder, Version 4
- 1 PTFE liner (v1) 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD PTFE tubing, Version 1
- 1 Heater Resistor Axial, 5.6 ohm, 1%, 5W UB5C-5.6-ND
- 1 Thermistor 1 EPCOS 100K B57560G104F
- 1 Hollow-lock socket set screw 5/16-24 hollow-lock socket set screw
3D Printing Filament MSDS Sheets
Maker Geeks Manufacturing, Inc. is located in beautiful Springfield, MO and is one of the first and only large scale producers of 3D printer filament in the USA ....we want to make sure you have all the data you need to safely use our products. A lot of time and love go into each spool that our tradesmen make here at our plant and we hope you enjoy and make something really cool with your new Filament Geeks!!
Maker Series ABS 3D Printer Filament - MSDS (click here for PDF)
Maker Series PLA 3D Printer Filament - MSDS (click here for PDF)
Maker Series PETG 3D Printer Filament - MSDS (click here for PDF)
Crystal Series PLA 3D Printer Filament - MSDS (click here for PDF)
Crystal Series PETG 3D Printer Filament - MSDS (click here for PDF)
Artfully Crafted 3D Printer Filament Made in Beautiful Springfield, MO USA - We Have Made & Sold Over 1 Million Pounds of 3D Printer Filament & Counting! Get your share, support the movement and 3D Print American today! (click the US Flag to learn more!)